Satellite Forms Adds Support for Windows Mobile 5 and Windows CE.NET!
October 18, 2005
We are pleased to announce that starting with version
6.1, we will be adding support for the use of Satellite Forms on
Windows Mobile 5 for PocketPC devices, and
Windows CE.NET 4.2 devices that meet specific screen
and processor hardware standards.
Windows Mobile 5 for PocketPC is the latest version (and newest name)
of the PocketPC operating system, now available on new devices
and also available as an OS upgrade from some manufacturers.
Windows Mobile 5 will be used on the forthcoming Windows
Mobile Treo from Palm, announced for release in the new year. With
Satellite Forms 6.1 you can build Treo applications for both
the PalmOS and Windows Mobile platforms.
Windows CE.NET 4.2 is a common option for many industrial-use
handhelds, such as ruggedized barcode or RFID enabled
devices in a PDA-like form factor. Microsoft is
encouraging device manufacturers to use Windows
CE.NET on these devices, while Windows Mobile for
PocketPC is targeted for consumer devices.
For Windows CE.NET devices to be supported by
Satellite Forms, they must have:
- Windows CE.NET 4.2 or higher OS
- Screen dimensions of 320x240 (QVGA), 240x240, or
320x320 [QVGA is most common size]
- ARM-compatible CPU, such as Intel PXA processors
Satellite Forms 6.1 supports these platforms:
- PalmOS 3.5 and higher, including PalmOS Garnet 5.x
- Microsoft Pocket PC 2002/2003/2003SE (including Phone Editions)
- Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 for PocketPC (including Phone Editions)
- Microsoft Windows CE.NET 4.2
Satellite Forms 6.1 does not support these platforms:
- Microsoft Smartphone
- Microsoft Windows CE prior to CE.NET 4.2
- Microsoft PocketPC prior to 2002
- PalmOS devices previous to OS V3.5
Satellite Forms 6.1 is planned for release at the end of October
and will be a free update for registered Satellite Forms 6.x customers.